The Question of Ethics

On Monday evening we had a skype session on ethics, with a focus on the MORE form process within our research proposal. We discussed how it was particularly important to understand the differences between Ethical Considerations and Ethical Processes; something I feel I may have misunderstood in the drafting of my first research proposal.

Ethical Considerations are the thoughts of the enquirer regarding how their research methods may impact it's participants. Whether through questionnaires, interviews or observation, it is important to consider if your modes of inquiry may implicate it's participants, put them in a stressful or demanding situation or have a negative impact. In the selection of participants one may even be inadvertently causing exclusion or dis-justice to various other groups.

Ethical Processes are the actions and processes one may go through in-order to avoid any negative impacts as mentioned above. This may include ensuring confidentiality or anonymity of participants, obtaining informed consent from all participants and data protection practices.

Overall these considerations and practices form a vital part of the module three research project and if they aren't sufficient, permission may not be granted by Middlesex University for research to commence. Whilst I complete the MORE for process for submission next week, I feel that transparency is key to provide a ethically positive research project of any topic.


Comments

  1. Hi Jesse, have you started your form yet ? I cant log into Unihub since Friday :( I have had a look through the form before we had our Skype chat to familiarise myself with it. I planned to start today to help me start to tie up my research proposal. Both I feel tie together nicely and by starting to complete the form we will feel more organised going onto the proposal. Would you say that having started, that the form helps connect the dots for the proposal ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, I have also been struggling to log into MyUniHub, but this isn't a recent occurrence. I find the system incredibly unreliable and unpredictable!
    I do though, definitely feel the form really helps to clarify thinking in regards to the ethics in your research proposal. I had previously thought that the form was a condensed version of the ethics in your research proposal but the Skype session last week really helped to clarify the necessary differences between the ethical considerations in your proposal and the ethical processes in the MORE form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jesse, I finally found a trouble shooting section for the "error 500" that I keep getting when trying to log in ... so much time wasting so often on UniHub sadly :(
    Yeah the call was invaluable to me too. Sometimes I need the calls more than I think or do, or crazily try to prepare for, rather than just taking it in and letting all the information I already knew just settle calmly into place. Im working on my MORE form today. Have you already submitted ?
    Lind a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes unfortunately I've found myself having to write out some of the MORE form questions and work on them offline when I am unable to access the system. Especially frustrating when I'm traveling so much for work. I'm just doing final tweaks to my MORE form so I can submit it today. Fingers crossed I can log on!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion- Learning in and as professional practice

Sunday Discussion- Knowing and Learning

Theories and Framework