Sunday Discussion- Knowing and Learning

Sunday evening saw us have our monthly MAPP discussion group which was based upon the topic of 'Knowing and Learning'. After going around and hearing everyone's current progression and thoughts, Helen directed us to Agatha's query on 'Translation of Ideas' and how we translate what we know in our bodies to a medium that is understood by others. From this the discussion quickly moved onto the broader subject of communication and how we communicate in our chosen practices.

This took several forms, including Tara's experience working with disabled students, Jade communicating with young students in a narrative that they would understand and David's research into Ideokinesis (the improvement of posture and alignment of the body using visualisation techniques).

Although one might say that the subject of conversation deviated from the initial topic of 'knowing and learning', I felt this was extremely beneficial for me as I explore 'communication' as a possible AOL. This was also a steep learning curve for me as I had never attended a group discussion of this nature before and I was left feeling if what I had contributed was of any use or relevence. 
Nine Lines of Movement in Ideokinesis (Rachel Vogel)

Later on in the discussion Rhoda brought up the subject of communicating on this course through academic writing and what would be acceptable at masters level; something I have also been struggling to fully understand. On reading various publications and academic literature, the text can often seem very flowery and "fluffy". Knowing if this is the norm for academic writing or not is something that I feel struck a chord with the majority of people in our discussion. Helen then posed to us the question of "What is Academic?"

This was when the penny dropped.

As creatives the word 'academic' is often placed as a barrier to something we don't understand at first glance, but the process of learning requires the person to evaluate something through multiple narratives and altered perspectives in order to gain a full understanding; similarly to how a dancer repeats steps in different ways in order to find the right way of executing them or even the way a teacher asks students to visualise different things in order to comprehend the task set. One of the greatest skills we all have on this course is resilience. A common thread which has allowed all of us to get to this point in our professional practice. It is this resilience that if applied to our learning at masters level will allow us to explore different facets and interpretations of knowledge in order to begin to understand them.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote my blog without reference to other aide-memoirs, so forgot the first half of what you set down here. It was intentional, a way of discovering what stayed with me. Good that you had the capacity to gather everything and useful for me! Well done.

    I looked up ideokinesis and found it was also used as a way for injured dancers to go through a piece in their heads and thus still practise. In reality, probably only overlaying theory onto something people did anyway. So describing practice.💡

    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally just googled 'aide-memoirs' and totally don't get it. Another word to add to my growing list :)

      Delete
    2. "Overlaying theory onto something people did anyway."
      That's pretty much what we're tasked with on this course!

      Delete
  3. Hey, I like what you have to say here. Particularly the cute diagram! This is a very good recap of what was talked about today. I would like to hear more about What, and How though. I have also read Moon's books and find the information contained in each of her books very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, what interests me about Moon's writing is her clear differentiation between 'Knowing what' and 'Knowing how'. It seems that when learning, one might have acquired the knowledge of what is required to do a task but they might not yet have the skills of how to apply that knowledge to the task at hand.

      What strikes me is that academic study is in effect abstract conceptualisation and will likely give the learner the knowledge of what to do. But it is only when a person becomes an active practitioner and has the opportunity to embody this learning that he/she gains the skill of how to apply that knowledge.

      I feel that on the MAPP programme we are going about this learning in almost a backward way. As experienced practitioners in our field we all have the knowledge of how to practice, otherwise we wouldn't be where we are in our professional journeys, but now we are being asked to reflect on WHAT it is we actually know.

      (I hope my thoughts make sense!)

      Delete
  4. Also Could you please add a subscribe button to your blog? Adding that option will make it much easier to communicate through your blog, as I would get an email that I would just be able to click a link instead of trying to remember your URL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jesse!
    I'll be posting my blog later so have a browse. I thought your talking and wording here was great! Totally helps being in the same boat as newbies. I agree that my AOL should also go into how I communicate so was nice your thinking too. Also felt the penny drop. Looking forward to viewing more of your blogs.

    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion- Learning in and as professional practice

Theories and Framework