A New Chapter

So as this year starts, I embark on the MA Professional Practice (Dance) at Middlesex University, London. This seems like a huge step but one I feel will enable me to further my understanding of the skills and knowledge I have gained throughout my varied career and my current practice.
Starting this blog is necessary to allow me to voice the concerns and opinions I will have throughout my time on the course and will also allow me to join the large network of Dance Professionals and Teachers on the wider MAPP courses, pooling our opinions, questions and resources together in order to better understand our professional practice.

Our welcome week was preceded by a Skype session conducted by Helen Kindred which included new and current student across the whole of the MAPP programme (Dance Pedagogy, Somatic Studies and Dance). During the Skype session, Helen introduced key members of staff on the programme and laid out the structure of the courses along with giving a guided tour of MyUniHub and other resources available to us as students. Later, each student introduced themselves and gave a short background of their professional practice.
Throughout the discussion, Helen highlighted the need throughout the course to have a sense of maturity and professionalism with their approach to working at masters level. The course requires students to come with self-motivation and an independence that will allow them to fully explore the full extent of their professional practice through communication with others and in-depth self-analysis.

Although this week has conjured up the expected anxieties of 'Am I capable of this?', 'Was this course the right choice?' and 'How on earth will I apply myself to that?', the anticipated outcomes of this course far outweigh the concerns, no matter how daunting the next 16 months may seem!


"Rome wasn't built in a day..." (Old French proverb, C.1100)

Comments

  1. Lovely to meet you Jesse, I wasnt part of the Skype sessions so I didnt get a chance to introduce myself. I began the MA in September last year. Looking forward to reading your work and discussing the course and many many more topics. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to meet you Linda. I look forward to working alongside you and hearing aspects of your learning journey!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion- Learning in and as professional practice

Sunday Discussion- Knowing and Learning

Theories and Framework